Intonations welcomes submissions on any topic related to the study of music.
We also publish reviews of scholarly books, compositions, and albums.
Please see our Focus and Scope for further information.
We welcome submissions that:
- Have not been previously published nor are currently under consideration by any other journal while they are under review by Intonations.
- Are between 5,000 and 8,000 words, excluding bibliography.
- Include an abstract of between 150 and 250 words
- Include 5-10 descriptive keywords
- Embed and number all graphics, images, and examples in the submission file.
- Follow guidelines for inclusive, non-sexist language. Please refer to the following links for guidelines:
Submissions accepted for publication should employ the author-date system demonstrated in The Chicago Manual of Style (16th ed.); however any reference style is acceptable for the initial submission.
Please ensure that the text is double-spaced, uses a Times New Roman 12-point font, employs italics rather than underlining (except with URL addresses), and is in a Microsoft Word (.docx) format. The file handle should read: “Title.docx”. See below for the figure-, audio- and video-submission guidelines.
Instructions for Ensuring a Blind Review:
Authors should avoid identifying themselves, directly or indirectly, in the submission itself and address themselves as they would any other scholar in the article (i.e. refrain from the use of personal pronouns or self-identifying language when citing works that the author has previously written). Further details are provided in the OJS submission process.
Supplementary files (e.g. image, audio and video files):
If accepted for publication, the editors will provide authors with formatting guidelines. The file handle should read: Title_Figure#.ext (or table, audio, etc…). Intonations recommends the following file formats:
- Images: .JPG, .TIF, .PDF, and .PNG
- Audio: .MP3,.AAC .WAV, and .AIFF
- Video: .MP4, .MOV, .MPG, and .AVI
- Code and/or alternative multimedia file formats: Identify format and describe
Authors will be asked to obtain permissions for the use of copyrighted materials, as well as permissions for other materials where appropriate.
We welcome reviews (1000-2500 words) and review essays (4000-6000 words) or scholarly works as well as reports on sound installations, festivals, exhibits, and other cultural events.
Intonations is an open access journal and employs a Creative Commons license system. Items published in this journal may be used in their original form (in whole or in part) for non-commercial purposes. Items must be properly cited, including author, journal name, and publication date.